Here I am on the verge of leaving for our big road trip and I just found out that Mama Cranberry, with MamaCranberry.org has awarded me the 2017 Liebster Award! Of course, this means all packing and house cleaning has come to a screeching halt in order for me to blog about this. I’m pretty excited because it’s such a great opportunity for new bloggers to help network and get their name out there. So a big THANK YOU to Mama Cranberry!
There are a few rules to go along with the award, such as writing a blog post about it, but you are also asked to write about your favorite blog. My favorite blog isn’t new. It doesn’t have a small following. But it is hilarious and inspirational and kind of sort of maybe inspired me to begin my own blog. I’m talking about KaylaAimee.com. She writes about her adorable family (which has had many obstacles, for lack of a better word, and she is so very strong) as well as encourages women to follow their dreams/start their own blog and helps teach them to do it. I’ve been reading it for well over 5 years. It is probably more but I just can’t remember that far back. She’s also an author of a wonderful book called Anchor: Finding Hope in the Unexpected. So you should read that, but I’m warning you, you will cry. Like ugly cry. Not that I know from experience or anything.
But back to the Liebster Award. I am also challenged to include 10 facts about myself so here goes:
- I met my husband on a cruise called The Rock Boat in the middle of the ocean.
- I’ve seen over 100 different bands in concert. And when I say over 100, I actually mean close to 200. What I’m saying is I love live music.
- I was born and raised in Kansas. Now I live in the Philadelphia area, but there’s no place like home.
- I am a big nerd. One of my favorite genres (movies/books/TV) is fantasy/SciFi. And the only reality TV I like is the Food Network.
- It shouldn’t be a surprise but I love to write. The fact that I have a blog tells you that. When I was in junior high/high school I used to write poetry and song lyrics ALL. THE. TIME. Since then, I’ve graduated to incessant ramblings about traveling the world. Who knew?
- My favorite food is hot wings. Except when I was pregnant. Then the thought of them made my stomach churn.
- Speaking of being pregnant, I have 1 daughter. The end.
- Pottermore says I’m a Hufflepuff, which is fine by me for one reason: Cedric Diggory.
- If it has anything to do with ancient civilization (Ancient Greek, Ancient Roman, Ancient Egyptian) I’m obsessed.
- I love writing lists. And when I’m making one, I will add stuff I’ve completed just so I can cross it off.
Mama Cranberry also asked I answer a few questions:
- What do you feel most grateful for in your life?
I feel very grateful for my husband. It sounds pretty cliche but it’s through him that I have been able to accomplish so many of my dreams and goals, including this blogging journey I have begun.
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
Well, I have 2 answers here. The first one is I WENT SKYDIVING. If you mean physically extreme. But honestly, packing up and moving across the country, when I was a mere 23, to live with a boy whom I’d really only gotten to know online and over the phone is pretty extreme. (To be clear, I’m talking about my husband and we met in person but had a long distance relationship while getting to know one another. We did not meet online – not that there is anything wrong with that, we just didn’t).
- What holds the top spot on your bucket list, and why?
The biggest goal I have in my life is to backpack through Europe. I’ve dreamed of this since I was 16. Now that I’m getting older (meaning no longer considered youth in the backpacking world) if I do accomplish this, I’m sure it will look a little different. That means probably staying in hotels instead of hostels. And upgrading things like train tickets instead of sticking to the bare budget essentials. But nonetheless – my goal is to see Europe.
- Who has been the most influential person in your life?
This one is hard because I don’t think I have just one influential person in my life. I’ve had various people inspire or influence me for different things. I honestly don’t know if I can even answer this.
- What is your favorite book, and what does it mean to you?
So I don’t have a favorite book. I have a lot of books I love, but none that I would call my favorite. Or that I’ve read a bunch of times. I pretty much just read a book one time and then move on. I will list a few that I like though: The Lord of the Rings series, the Harry Potter series, Pride and Prejudice, and the Amelia Peabody series.
And lastly, I get to choose 5 more bloggers for this award!
- April is the blogger behind Minivan Adventures, which is a fun read. Especially if you love reading about travel adventures with kids. I enjoy that sort of thing because I have a child and I hope to have lots of travel adventures with her as she grows.
- Travel Plus Family is another little family travel blog that I enjoy reading. Also, she sometimes blogs about Disney which is another obsession of mine.
- Also, if you are into pop culture and entertainment (think music, movies, TV, etc) then you will love MidcoastStation.com. It’s great because they basically review all kinds of different forms of entertainment for the masses but it’s also run by a small group of people – not a big media conglomerate. So I trust it. And maybe also because I’ve contributed to it in the past so I know these are my people.
- I’m also really digging Antipodean Adventurer. Courtney is getting ready to embark on a huge cross country road trip around the continental US so I’m looking forward to reading about that!
- And lastly, I like Dream & Wanderland. Pia is based in Germany and loves to travel (there might be a theme here….) but I love reading about her adventures because I can live vicariously through her. I’m look forward to her Ireland trip because that is on my bucket list.
For the official rules, you can read about them here.
So there you have it. Here are my nominations and my acceptance speech. I mean, all my Q&As. I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little bit more. It was fun to talk about something a little different and I hope you enjoyed reading it!